Train the Trainer
The course aims to give delegates the skills and knowledge necessary to prepare and deliver training sessions in their Area of work.
By the end of the course delegates will be able to:
- List the key skills, knowledge and attitudes required to be an effective trainer
- Explain how and why we learn
- Describe the Learning Cycle and its implications and identify their own learning style
- Prepare and deliver a training session using the suggested structure
- Identify their strengths, areas for development and current status as a trainer
In order to fully benefit from this course, delegates are requested to carry out the following pre-work
- Complete the attached evaluation questionnaire. This is to establish your knowledge of the subject prior to the training. Your score at this stage does not matter as all answers will be covered during the course.
- Plan a 5 minute training session for up to 8 people this will take place on Day 1 and is a trial session. This does not have to be work related. You need to decide: topic (practical subjects work well), any visual aids/props/information that you require. The session must involve learner participation. Final preparation time is included in the course schedule.
- In preparation for Day 2 please bring along the Company Training Notes for the course you wish to train, e.g. “SOP”, (standard operational procedure), would be a good place to start.
- Skills audit of an effective trainer
- How we learn – use of senses, visual aids
- Why we learn – incentives and motivations
- Learning styles and the Learning Cycle
- How to structure a training session
- Giving and receiving constructive feedback
- Practice Instruction 1 – a 5 minute group training session – Video if possible
- Feedback (in group) – what would you do differently and consistently
- Training material available – SOP – standard operational procedure
- Practice Instruction 2 – a 15 minute training session from your own area Way/Selling Skills programme
- Individual feedback
- Hints and tips on running training sessions in your area of work
Train the Trainer is a highly participative off the job course utilising group discussion, questionnaires, exercises and practice training sessions. Delegates will be assessed during their second practice instruction and then given one-to-one feedback. This process will be explained in more detail during the course.